Department of Civil Engineering (Bachelor of Engineering)
The department of Civil Engineering established in 2011 has the distinction of being the oldest department in the institute. The department is proud to have a in addition to the conventional laboratories of Surveying, Geotechnical, Environmental, Transport, Fluid Mechanics, Strength of Materials, Concrete Technology etc. The faculty believes in high quality teaching and is very active in projects, conferences and research papers. The department offers consultancy in various fields of Civil engineering to reputed government and private sectors.
Departmental consultancy is carried out in Geotechnical Engg., Transportation Engg, Strength of Material, Concrete Laboratories. The consultancy work is provided to various govt. and private organizations like P.W.D., B&C, Railways, Pradhanmantri gram sarak yojana, Irrigation deptt. Etc
List of Main Consultancy Items :
|Concrete Laboratory||• Mix design of concrete|
• Non destructive testing of concrete
• Compressive Strength of conc. Cubes, bricks
• Engg properties of cement
|Geotechnical Engg. Lab.
||• Standard Penetration test|
• Triaxial shear test
• Consolidation test
• Engg. Properties of soil and sand
|Transportation Engg lab
||• California Bearing Ratio|
• Engg properities of aggregate and bitumen
|Strength of Materials Lab||•Tensile, Torsion, Flexural strength of steel|
|Name of Laboratory||Concrete Technology
|Name of Lab In-charge|
|List of Major Equipments|| Vee Bee consistometer, Flexural Testing machine,Vibrating machine, Sieve Shaker electrically & hand operated, Compaction factor test apparatus, Slump test apparatus, Oven, Electric water bath, Concrete mixer, Compression testing machine, Portable Ultrasonic non-destructive digital indicating tester|
|List of Experiments carried out in laboratory(Semester wise)||• To determine normal consistency Initial & Final setting time of cement|
• To determine finess of cement
• To perform soundness test on cement
• To determine finess of modulus of fine & coarse aggregate
• To determine bulking of sand
• To determine compressive strength of cement
• To determine compressive strength of concrete
• To determine workability of concrete by compaction factor test agg. & slump test
• To determine crushing value and impact value of Aggregate
• To study of NDT
|List of Testing work carried out in laboratory||1. Concrete Cube – Compressive Strength|
2. Mortor Cube – Compressive strength
Fineness modulus ,Bulking, Silt content
Compressive strength of bricks, Water absorption, Dimension test
Fineness, consistency, Initial & final setting time, soundness, compressive strength, Mix Design
|Name of Laboratory||Fluid Mechanics
|Name of Lab In-charge|
|List of Major Equipments||Centrifugal Pump, Reciprocating pump, Francis turbine, Pelton Turbine, Water Hammer equipment, Tilting flume, Reynold’s Apparatus, Friction Factor apparatus, Venturi Meter, Orifice Meter|
|List of Experiments carried out in laboratory(Semester wise)||1. To determine the metacentric height of a ship model|
2. To verify Bernoulli’s Theorem
3. To determine impacts of jets on stationary flat & curved platessss
4. To determine head loss coefficients for pipe expansion, contraction, bends elbows
5. To demonstrate the use of pitot tube, pitot static tube for velocity measurement
6. TI study & use current meter for measuring velocity of an open channel
7. To determine coefficient of discharge of a venturimeter fitted in a pipe
8. To determine coefficient of discharge of a orificemeter fitted in a pipe
9. To determine values of hydraulic coefficients of a sharp edged circular orifice
10. To determine coefficient of discharge of an external cylindrical mouthpiece
11. To determine coefficient of discharge of a rectangular notch
12. To calibrate the given rectangular notch
13. To study the status of flow using Renold’s apparatus
14. To study the flow around immersed bodies
15. To determine Darcy’s friction factor for pipes of different diameters
16. To develop specific energy diagram for the flow in a rectangular channel
17. To determine Mannig’s or Chezy’s constant for an open channel
18. To study different gradually varied flow surface profiles formed in an open channel
19. To study and verify different parameter of hydraulic jump
20. To study the complete characteristics of Francis turbine at constant head
21. To study the complete characteristics of Pelton Wheel turbine
22. To study the complete characteristics of Centrifugal pump
23. To study the complete characteristics of Reciprocating pump
24. To study the complete characteristics of Hydraulic ram
|Name of Laboratory||Computer Laboratory
|Name of Lab In-charge|
|List of Major Equipments||Computers Pentium IV, Laser Jet Printer, Inkjet Printer, Dot Matrix Printer, Flatbed Scanner|
|List of Experiments carried out in laboratory(Semester wise)||• Study of PC w.r.t. to Operating system|
• To find out shear strength of concrete
• To design RCC rectangular slope footing
• To design singly reinforced beam
• To design one way continuous slab
• To calculate earth pressure
• To find discharge through open channel
• To Design a continuous beam carrying u.d.l. & point load by three moment theorem
• To design short loaded column
• Write interactive program for trapezoidal rule
• Write interactive program for Simpson rule
• Write interactive program for Gauss elimination method
• Write interactive program for Newton-Raphson method
• Write interactive program for Runge-Kutta method
• Write interactive program for modified Euler’s Method
Strengths of Department
• Academic calendar is strictly followed.
• Well-equipped laboratories . Laboratory equipment are fully utilized.
• Good Number of Book Publications.
• Faculty members have published papers in International Journals/ National Journals / conferences.
• A good working atmosphere -Both teaching and non-teaching staff members go out of the way to cooperate. with each other while attending to different responsibilities.
• Support from Director & Management for research activities and deputation of faculty for higher studies like PhD under QIP, seminars, workshops and other such events.
• Faculty participates effectively for making decisions on academic issues.
• Qualified, competent and hard working faculty with a positive attitude.
• Prescribed university syllabus is covered within the time.
• Course files along with course outcomes and detailed course plans are maintained by the subject teacher.